It’s Memorial Day Weekend!
Do you have time off work? Are you celebrating the end of the school year? The beginning of Summer? Or are you just thinking about trying something new this weekend? Well! I have a list for YOU!
Money is tight for me this summer, so I thought it might be fun to look at all the different things we can try to do for cheap or free- regardless of where we live. So, without further ado, 50 things to do, Memorial Day Weekend style:
- Go for a hike! Grab a friend or a dog and look up some local hiking trails. Penelope and I like to eat ice cream afterwards, but that’s optional.
- Take a picnic and sit in the park to eat.
- Go to a neighborhood you find interesting and explore it
- Find an outdoor performance and enjoy it
- Check your local park service and see what they have going on- mine has free yoga classes sporadically this summer!
- Go for a bike ride! If you don’t own a bike, a lot of cities have places you can rent them for pretty cheap
- Go to a nearby small town and wander through the downtown area. Explore.
- Go fishing! Parks often have poles to rent.
- Go birding- there are free apps to help you recognize what you see
- Grab a blanket and drive a good long ways out of town at night Sit in your blanket and look for constellations
- Go to the library and pick out some new books to love!
- Take a long bath
- Give yourself a home mani pedi.
- Go to a museum and enjoy
- Clean out your closet. Make a game out of it!
- Do a home decorating project
- Rearrange a room of your home
- Look through old photos and upload some fun ones to facebook for laughs!
- Plant something green- indoors or outdoors!
- Revisit your itunes collection and rock out. Get really wild and dance around!
- Invite a few friends to bring snacks and have an old fashioned movie night
- invite a few friends and have a board game night! Ask them to bring snacks!
- Arrange a clothing swap with some fun people- take your old stuff and trade them for their old stuff!
- Volunteer somewhere. All kinds of places need helping hands, and you’ll be surprised at how fun and fulfilling this can be!
- Try a new recipe and throw a dinner party
- Have a photo shoot! If you don’t like photos of yourself (you totally should) find cool things around your home, neighborhood or city
- Think and journal about your short term and long term goals, and think about your dreams
- Look up a youtube video on something you want to learn, whether it’s figure drawing or calculus, and watch a few videos about how to do it
- Wite a letter and mail it old school to a friend or loved one
- spend some time coloring!
- Move your body! Try a youtube video or go to a class
- Try a new restaurant
- Plan your dream vacation
- Spend some time writing
- Find someplace to swim (if its warm enough!)
- Have a squirt gun fight!
- Put away all the evidence of winter in your house (boots, coats, etc.)
- Go to a sporting event of your choice (minor league, major league, or just for fun leagues)
- Work on a jigsaw puzzle
- Find a public garden and explore it
- Get on the water! Go kayaking, canoeing, tubing or boating- there are lots of cheap places to rent in a lot of places
- Find a local festival and go go go! Festivals are great for an afternoon or evening of fun!
- Go to the farmer’s market- enjoy looking, at the very least!
- Find a u-pick farm and enjoy picking your own produce
- Go camping! Some outdoor stores rent gear for reasonable rates
- Find a beach and play on it! Even us land locked folks often have some lakes we can play in and around
- Check out a local play or musical- many companies have cheaper matinees, and lots of cities have some cheap or free outdoor options!
- Go to a local cemetery and think about what memorial day is all about
- Attend a parade in honor of the weekend! There are lots of local parades, and they’re cheesy, but fun!
- Spend time with the people you care about, whether it’s a barbecue with family or a night out with friends
I hope this gives you some fun ideas to look at on this long weekend! Whatever you decide to do- enjoy it!
I’m hoping to make Fun and (mostly) Free Fridays a series- so stay tuned!
Superhero action of the day: what fun and (mostly) free things do you enjoy? Let me know in the comments and hopefully I can check it out!