Happy first day of Summer, Northern Hemisphere! Was it hot today where you are? It was in the 90’s here today- not as hot as some places, I know, but plenty warm enough for me! Also, my superhero hideout does not have air conditioning, so by the end of the day, it is WARM up in here.
So today, let’s look at ways to stick it out in the heat!
- Popsicles. I know this is probably pretty obvious, but man do I eat A LOT of popsicles during the summer. I usually buy these Outshine fruit bars. I regularly eat one before bed, and I at least FEEL cooler, even if my body temperature hasn’t gone down at all.
- If you have one of these handy microwave rice bags, pop it in the freezer for about an hour to give yourself a nice chilly hug.
- TURN THE OVEN OFF. Again, maybe this is obvious, but if at all humanly possible, just don’t use the oven. Summer is a great time to use your crock pot to do your cooking, or to take a good look at salads and smoothies.
- Use cold water. Sometimes I drink a huge glass of it. Sometimes, even in the middle of the day, I take an ice cold shower for as long as I can stand it. Sometimes I just run my arms under cold water at the tap- or just my feet.
- Stay hydrated! When you’re hot, you’re sweating, and sweat uses a lot of liquid! Plus, sweat is the best way we have to cool our bodies. And water is good for you.
- Choose strategic times to exercise, and give yourself a proper cool down. My boxing gym is not air conditioned. When it’s 90 degrees outside, it’s about 100 in there. Sometimes that means I don’t go to a lot of boxing in the Summer. It’s just too hot. To avoid this, workout first thing in the morning, or after dark- or go someplace cool- just make sure to cool down properly when you’re done!
- If all else fails, get an ac unit. Last spring, I bought a portable room air conditioner unit (you can check them out here). It’s loud, it doubles my electric bill if I use it a lot, it’s a pain to store… but it gets the job done. Even better, I can choose when it’s hot enough to use it and when I can do without, because it doesn’t take up the entire window for the entire Summer. I can remove the vent when I want to, or push it into another room. Totally worth the inconvenience.
Superhero Action of the day: what’s your favorite way to stay cool when it’s hot outside? Drop me a comment- I’d love the new ideas!